Saturday, July 9, 2011

Queer?

The nomenclature used to identify homosexuals is varied.  I tend to use the well-established term “gay” to describe homosexuals simply because it is well-established.  However, the term “gay” often has a negatvie connotation, as I recently found out.  Its original definition was “joyful” or “carefree.”  As an extension of its definition as “carefree,” it attained the new definition of “without moral constraints,” which led to a definition of “addicted to pleasure.”  It wasn’t until the 1960’s that the word “gay” was widely used to refer to homosexuality.  Prior to then, it was an adjective that meant hedonistic.  I am quite austere.  I now have mixed feelings on using the word “gay” because of this new knowledge of the word’s etymology that I have recently gained, and because my austerity contrasts with its original definition.  However, I use it habitually. 

I also use the term “homosexual” because it is the technical term.  Whether I, or anyone else, likes it or not, homosexuals are defined based on sexual preference. 
  
In its original meaning, the word “queer” was a synonym of “strange.”  When applied to homosexuals, it was originally used as a pejorative.  Why on earth people would want to embrace a pejorative (especially when its use is superfluous) is beyond me (other than, perhaps, shock value).  Perhaps they use it as some sort of confirmation of victimhood (just a guess).  I think my opinion of this word can be best explained by Homer Simpson.  When a gay person uses the word “queer,” Homer responds thus: “I resent you people using that word.  That’s our word for making fun of you! We need it!”  Now, I am strongly opposed to political correctness.  However, the use of this word just doesn’t make sense to me.  

Then there is LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender).  The issue I have with this term is that I believe it is over-inclusive.  I do not see why transgered people should be included, since transgender is not a sexual orientation.  There are several different versions of that term.  According to Wikipedia, there are also versions that include a Q, a question mark, a U, a C, an I, another T, a 2, an SA, an A and a P.  So, if all of those were included, the term would be LGBTQ?UCIT2SAAP.  Fortunately, I have never seen anyone use that term.  However, when you type in “LGBT” into google, its second suggestion is “LGBTTIQQ2SA.”  I believe that that is a bit too over-inclusive (to put it mildly).  I mean, homosexuals and bisexuals make up a small fraction of the population.  I can only imagine what percentage of the population is covered by the remainder of those various characters.  

Now, enough on homosexuality. 

3 comments:

  1. Homer is exactly why we need the word "queer" but I prefer the American word "fag." (Of course it means something else to Brits.) My absolute favorite is cocksucker but that's a bit tricky for a conservative. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, Naamloos - I learned quite a bit on the evolution of homosexual terms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've found the whole concept of homosexuality to be tricky for a prude such as myself...

    Thank you, classic_film.

    ReplyDelete

I will not tolerate irrelevant or inappropriate comments. Any such comments will be deleted. Please do not use sexually explicit language.