Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Rhetoric, Fear and REAL Hope and Change

I can't get past Obama's rhetoric.  Many, many other people have pointed out what a hypocrite Obama is.  He promised post-partisanship, but it seems like every speech he makes contains some sort of vilification of Republicans (not to mention "millionaires and billionaires," and my personal favorite, "corporate jet owners").  Obama might have his rhetoric and the obsequious media to rely upon, but the reality of reality should hopefully be enough to evict Obama from the White House.  Obama's and the media's rhetoric cannot be enough to obfuscate the facts (low unemployment, high inflation, et cetera) when so many people are well aware of them, and since they are having such a profound effect on peoples' lives.

Any prosperity loving citizen of a Western nation should support the Tea Party Movement, given how inextricably linked the US's economy is to that of the rest of the world.  I really hope Americans nominate the right Republican to challenge Obama.  I do not believe a RINO like Mitt Romney would be able to effectively curtail government spending, and everyone in the Western world should be paying close attention.  It is too early to determine who the right candidate is, in my opinion, however.  At this point, I would probably support Herman Cain.  I think someone with leadership experience in the private sector may be the perfect person to deal with what the next president will inherit from Obama.  Yes, it would be a risk to elect an outsider, but, at this point, it would be a risk that is well worth taking.  Having said that, I would not support Herman Cain completely at this point.  It is too early.  And, if either Paul Ryan or Marco Rubio enters the running, well, they are just too damn good not to support.  But that doesn't look like it will happen.

I am a concerned Canadian.  I am also a university student with a very tight budget.  I don't need a stagnant economy to make things more difficult than they will already be.  I don't have nearly as much at stake as most Americans, but the prospect of another Obama presidency, which will almost inevitably lead to an economic crisis the likes of which Americans haven't seen possibly since the Great Depression (if my amateur reasoning can be relied upon), and hence one the likes of which Westerners haven't seen possibly since the Great Depression, frightens me.

UPDATE: After re-reading this, I realized the last sentence didn't make any sense, so I fixed it.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know how closely you're following Herman Cain, but he does tend to put his foot in his mouth, only to take it out and put it in his ear.

    I flirted briefly with Rick Perry and Michelle Bachmann, but I keep going back to Sarah Palin. She strikes me as the only one with the thing she considers most important: "a servant's heart," in her words. Only such a person will put the country first, setting aside doctrinal crusades, big-government schemes, or their standing in a popularity contest.

    If she runs, I believe the primary will essentially be between her and Romney. She'll crush him, and then go on to astonish, enrage, and depress Obama by crushing him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I’ve heard Herman Cain sounds very solid.

    As for Canada, it must be hard for young people living in a mixed-economy, because they can’t always help themselves, even when they try their best to.

    You have to always keep an eye on the States, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will admit that I haven't been following Herman Cain very closely, but I agree that he seems solid based on what I know. Everything I say is based solely upon what I know. Personally, I am not sure about Sarah Palin, but I do think she would be better than Mitt Romney, if she did happen to run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe he picked the wrong Muslims to apologize to for his remarks about excluding Muslims from advisory posts. In addition, I think he could have left it at a clarification rather than apology.

    If he had to talk to a Muslim to make it all good, I wish he'd chosen Zuhdi Jasser, who has been studiously ignored by American conservatives, perhaps because he isn't obnoxious and threatening.

    Cain's stumbles on American-Muslim relations may seem small, but I think they're significant. With his very public exchanges, Cain is following Compassionate Conservative George W. Bush and other Cocktail Party Republicans down the familiar old road of paying the shakedown artists to absolve us of our unwarranted feelings of guilt. We've spent 40 years giving money and love to race-mongers like Jesse Jackson (through his Operation PUSH). Now we're going to do it for hostile Muslims? WE HAVE TO STOP THIS NOW or we'll be in for another three generations of groveling, self-flagellating, and sacrifice to support our own enemies.

    Cain

    Zuhdi Jasser

    (By the way, Naamloos, I didn't see your comment from July 31 back at my blog, and I've answered -- Yes, please!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that he picked the wrong Muslims to apologize to. If Cain starts looking like a compassionate conservative, then there is no chance I would support him. Although, he has
    denounced compassionate conservatism in the past.

    ReplyDelete

I will not tolerate irrelevant or inappropriate comments. Any such comments will be deleted. Please do not use sexually explicit language.