Friday, July 29, 2011

When Politics and Sports Collide

Arizona must be one of the USA's most scenic states.  The desert, the mountains, the canyons, and the red rocks are all things that contribute to Arizona being one of my favorite states.  Obviously, Arizona is one of the states that borders Mexico.  And, as such, it is prone to illegal immigration.  To anyone who has been reading my blog, it should come as no suprise that I would be all for toughening immigration laws as well as enacting laws that are designed to prevent illegal immigration.  So, when I first heard about Arizona SB 1070, I was proud of Arizona for trying to solve its immigration problem.  The reactions of some people, however, left me confused.  For example, the cities of San Francisco, Oakland, Los Angeles, Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis, and St. Paul all boycotted Arizona in some form.  I can understand Los Angeles, but how could Minneapolis possibly know how bad the situation in Arizona is with illegal immigrants?  Also, there were accusations that the bill was racist.  That is ridiculous, since the bill was designed to solve a problem that was getting out of hand.  Anyway, there was one particular reaction that I wanted to mention.

Last may, the Phoenix Suns wore jerseys that read "Los Suns" both to celebrate Cinco de Mayo and to protest Arizona SB 1070.  Since the Phoenix Suns are a private corporation, they should have the right to protest the bill.  However, I am not so sure that would make business sense.  Since it is a sports team, perhaps its fans who support the bill would overlook that protest.  It just seems kind of odd to me that they would take the risk of alienating some of their fans, especially when some polls suggested that over 70% of Arizonans supported the bill.   It was over a year ago, so maybe most people have forgotten about that protest.  I have no idea.  

In case anyone is wondering, there is really no reason I am mentioning this now.  I just saw something that reminded me of it, so I decided to opine.  

1 comment:

  1. As a resident of Arizona, the illegal immigration issue is a personal one. The lawsuit against AZ for implementing SB 1070, a law that dovetails federal immigration law, is disgraceful. Pres. Obama and the DOJ need to get their heads out of the sand and see what is happening not only in Arizona, but in every state in the nation because of the influx of illegal aliens crossing into America. It is not just Mexicans from Mexico coming here, but terrorists from Yemen, Pakistan, Iraq, and other Islamic nations. Chinese women who are pregnant are coming here prior to birth so that their children will get all "the goodies" from being born on US soil. Human trafficking of young girls for child prostitution is rampant in Texas and other states. The problem is escalating and the federal government is part of that problem.

    ReplyDelete

I will not tolerate irrelevant or inappropriate comments. Any such comments will be deleted. Please do not use sexually explicit language.