Saturday, September 3, 2011

Obama Benefited From Affirmative Action

In a letter written by Barack Obama in 1990, he says this (h/t Frugal Café):
I must say, however, that as someone who has undoubtedly benefited from affirmative action programs during my academic career, and as someone who may have benefited from the Law Review's affirmative action policy when I was selected to join the Review last year, I have not personally felt stigmatized either within the broader law school community or as a staff member of the Review. Indeed, my election last year as President of the Review would seem to indicate that at least among Review staff, and hopefully for the majority of professors at Harvard, affirmative action in no way tarnishes the accomplishments of those who are members of historically underrepresented groups.
(Emphasis added)

I'm not sure if this is a widely-known fact, but it is news to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will not tolerate irrelevant or inappropriate comments. Any such comments will be deleted. Please do not use sexually explicit language.